MoveOn reports that Congress may be close to striking a deal on the budget approving something very like H.R.1, the House Bill proposed by the pro-corporatist, anti-populist Republican majority to strip funding for most of the post-World War II programs that promote human capital development, while retaining all the tax breaks for Big Business. Full-blown class warfare of the business-owning/managing elite vs everybody else is underway.
Here're two items noted by MoveOn on these issues:
- a report (updated March 1, 2011) from Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, House Bill Means Fewer Children in Head STart, Less Help for Students to Attend College, Less Job Training, and Less Funding for Clean Water;
- a report from the Center for Law and Social Policy on Projected Reduction in Children Served in Head Start Based on H.R.1-Fiscal Year 2011 Continuing Resolution;
Here are some devastating results for Michigan (footnote citations to above items removed) noted in the MoveOn release:
- $76 million would be cut from federal funds for clean and safe water in Michigan.
- 6,100 Michigan children would be immediately cut from Head Start, which provides comprehensive early childhood development services for at-risk children ages zero to five.$202 million would be cut from Pell Grants, affecting all 337,000 higher education students with those grants in Michigan.
- Job training and employment services would be effectively eliminated for 8,800 dislocated workers, 139,000 low-income adults, and 19,000 youths age 14 to 21.
- $4.8 million would be cut from law enforcement assistance, taking cops off the beat.